Transitions of Motherhood is members of the Amazon Affiliate program and we may receive a commission from any purchases made by clicking links found on this page. These purchases allow us to continue to provide educational and product recommendations to support and empower your motherhood journey.
Over the past several years working as a nurse I have noticed a lot of cancer diagnoses and high numbers of surgeries related to cancer. This really sparked a long journey of education about how our environment, diet, and lifestyle impact our health. Along this journey I have learned that not only do these things cause cancer but also many other chronic health conditions and fertility problems. I was really shocked when I learned that most of the environmental toxins come from our everyday items we pick up at the store and use daily. These were things I always assumed were safe.
So if you want to make a change and start using non toxic products keep reading and you will learn:
- How toxins are affecting you & your family
- How they are getting into our foods, products, and homes
- Favorite non toxic products
Table of Contents
How Does it Affect Me?
In the US the average person will be exposed to hundreds of chemicals before leaving their house every morning. Most of us assume that the soaps, hair products, makeup, and lotions we buy are safe. Under law there is little to protect us from the harmful chemicals all around us. We unknowingly consume, breathe in, and lather our skin with these chemicals constantly.
This exposure builds up in our body creating a toxic load we carry around with it leading to all sorts of chronic symptoms and conditions: including: asthma, cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, autoimmune disease, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s disease, and obesity.
Why Doesn’t The Government Restrict Chemicals in Our Products?
Under federal law chemical substances in consumer products either fall under the Toxic Substances Control Act or the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. The TSCA of 1976 provides the EPA with the authority to protect us from many harmful chemicals, but certain substances are excluded including food, drugs, cosmetics and pesticides. This act has a lot of limitations and is unable to really protect the general public.
The FDA’s regulation are also very limited. They do not require that cosmetic and personal care products register or get preapproval of chemicals used in their products prior to distributing them to the public. It also lacks the authority to require specific testing or demand a product recall where it believes a potential health hazard exists.
You can see this could pose some issues. So really until legislation can be passed to protect us we have to do our own homework. There are safe products out there, but we just can’t trust everything on the shelves of our local convenience stores.
My favorite Non Toxic Products
- Non toxic non stick cookware (They are pricey but well worth the cost! ) or stainless steel cookware (affordable and durable)
- Attitude Dishwasher Tablets (I’ve tried other brands and these are the only brand that actually gets your dishes clean consistently)
- Attitude Dish Soap (I love the grapefruit scent) and Truly Free Dish Soap (Is a good option, I just hate the subscription is the only way to purchase)
- Branch Basics Hand Soap and Attitude Hand Soap
- Viori Shampoo Bar (I’m currently trying and love the bar option) and Innersense Hair bath (Of the many clean hair brands, this is by far my favorite)
- Viori Conditioner Bar and Innersense Hydrating Cream Conditioner
- Viori Body Wash Soap Bar and Bronner’s Bar Soap (Simple ingredients and affordable price)
- For more specific pregnancy safe toothpastes check out my post here for a full list of the best non toxic toothpastes.
- Primally Pure Deodorant (great scent for men as well), for a full list of the best pregnancy safe deodorants check out my post here.
- Attitude Laundry Detergent – I’ve tried two other brands and this is by far my favorite. I don’t have to pretreat as many things and more stains come out. Also my laundry smells amazing!
- Miss Mouth’s Messy Eater Stain Treater
- Truly Free Dryer Angel
- Branch Basics (I have gotten all sorts of weird stains out and loved their products. I don’t love using it for laundry though).
- Attitude Cleaners – I’m sure by this point you can see a trend. I’ve pretty much switched over almost entirely to their products. I love that they are EWG certified, you can save money when buying large refills, and packaging is environmentally conscious.
- Honest Extreme Volume Mascara + Bold Lash Primer (not the cheapest but best performance)
- I have tried the Ogee Contour Kit and I absolutely love it. It can be rather pricey. It Natural enough for an everyday look. My makeup routine is 5 minutes.
- For a cheaper option when it comes to your effortless makeup routine check out Merit Beauty.
- Crunchi Foundation (Good coverage and lasts a long time). I switched to Saie slip tint when I ran out of my Crunchi foundation and I’m really liking it for summer.
- Crunchi Bronzer (I loved it but my daughter just smashed it all over the floor so it’s long gone)
- I’m pretty simple when it comes to makeup so that’s about all I use, but if I add anything to my routine I will update.
- Oseo Cleanser ( Started with the travel size and have loved it. The first few days I did have a zip pop up but my skin has been flawless since). Update: I tried the Ocean Cleansing Mudd and at first I wasn’t so sure, but after getting use to the peppermint tingle. I started using this as part of my morning routine to wake me up.
- Seabiotic Water Cream Moisturizer a little on the pricey side, but I can’t say enough good things about it.
- I use to be terrible and sleep in my makeup every night so this is pretty much the extent of my skincare routines
- Pipette Baby Soap and Attitude Baby Wash
- Tubby Todd All Over ointment (switched to this because of my son’s eczema and it works great! Also use as diaper cream)
- Kids Hello toothpaste
- We keep it pretty simple with these two. I don’t use a lot of products
As a mom, it can be overwhelming to overhaul your entire home to make it safer and healthier. However, small changes made every day can make a big difference in decreasing the toxic load in your home. Consider swapping out household and personal care products for clean and non-toxic options as you run out or feel the urge to make a change. Every step counts towards a healthier and safer environment for you and your family. I am here to support you in finding the best non-toxic products and answering any questions or concerns you may have.
Jess is a registered nurse with over 6+ years of critical care experience for patients young and old and is the mother of two small children. After having her own children she felt inspired to provide mothers with real actionable guidance and education to make informed decisions throughout their pregnancy and postpartum experience.