There will come a point when you become a mom that you will inevitable need to look for a vehicle that works better for your family. It may happen with your first, second, or third child. Whenever it happens let me help you find the best car for you!
I spent hours researching different types of vehicles when my sedan finally kicked the bucket. I wanted to find something that worked for my lifestyle, had the features I needed, and fit in my budget. This guide was written for moms by a mom just like you. In it you will find:
- What types of vehicles to choose from?
- What features are important?
- Top 5 best car for moms
Table of Contents
Top 5 Best Car For Moms
- Honda Odyssey (Our Top Pick)
- Used Toyota Sienna (Best Budget)
- Lexus RX 350 (Best High End SUV)
- Hyundai Sonata (Best Sedan)
- Subaru Outback (Best Wagon/Midsize SUV)
What Are the Best Cars For Moms? (What we Look at?)
In this article looked at several different aspects of the cars; safety, car space, longevity,
reviews, good gas mileage, popularity, trade in-value, history of the model. I tried to pull from our own research but also information from The National Highway Safety Administration.
My hope is that this will help any mom in search of the best car for their family to find what works best for their family big or small.
What Are the Different Types of Cars for Moms?
I know moms that drive all different types of cars and some moms aren’t familiar with all the
different sizes of vehicles so here is a quick breakdown of car sizes.
Compact Cars: These are as they sound, small and compact. Usually have seating up to five
and can fit into tight spaces but are pretty tight for the family.
Midsize Sedans: These are going to give you some more leg room and a big more truck space.
SUV: AKA Sports Utility Vehciles. A lot of mom’s love these but some of them feel pretty big like
a tank. They’re usually bigger sedans but they also have different sizes; compact crossover (ie.
Honda CRV), mid size (ie. Kia Sorento) and full size (ie. Ford Explorer). Kind of like small,
medium and large.
Minivans: Sliding doors, lots of cargo space, great for multiple kids. May not always be the in
vogue vehicle but it really offers so much. Spolier Alert My husband convinced me to get a
minivan and I love it. (Youtube video below shows why I changed my mind)
What Do You Look For In The Best Cars For Moms? (specific
features that moms love)
Here are some of the most popular Must-have features for moms include:
- Back up camera: Now-a-days a backup camera is a must. Especially if you have to drive a bigger car.
- High Safety Rating: Having a safe vehicle is a major priority for any parent. You have precious cargo now so having a vehicle that can hold up in a crash is a priority.
- Cargo Space: Every mom needs room for your stroller, groceries, and the future sports equipment as your child grows.
- Sliding Doors: easy access to that second row. Once your kids are older and start walking they can get in and out of the car on their own and you don’t have to worry about loosing after fingers.
- Easy Speak Microphone: Nothing better than being able to make sure those kids in the back seat can hear you.
- Purse Hanger: There is just too much stuff that you need to have as a mom when you go out. To have a designated place to put my purse when I get in the car makes it easier for me not to lose it.
- Large Center Console: Room for all the essentials that you need like nipple cream, pumping parts, postpartum supplies, snacks, and everything in-between.
- Trash Bag Ring: It’s pretty inevitable to maintain the mess when your kids are little but as they get older having a trash bag ring to maintain the mess is essential.
- Ice Box: Nothing better than having ice cold drinks available on the go.
- Motion Sensing Lift Gate: On many occasions you will find your arms full, so the ability to kick your foot under the bumper to lift the trunk. As a potty training mom I like to throw the third row down and have an extra potty seat in the back. Kick that lift open and you are ready to go.
- One Touch Third Row Access: After converting to a minivan I am all about being able to put that third row down. I use that extra cargo space all the time. Being able to do it with such ease is amazing!
Best Car for Moms Reviewed
Honda Odyssey (Overall Winner)
This was a tough decision but I went with Honda Odyssey. The Odyssey is a popular choice for
mamas, and for good reason. If you plan on driving around the kids and their friends you are
going to need the Odessey’s eight passenger seating and ample cargo space.
You can easily fit the kids stroller in the back without having to put down the third row. It makes it possible for you, your spouse, the kids, and friends to all comfortably ride together.
Moreover, many of the Odyssey models come equipped with a suite of advanced safety
features, including lane departure warning, forward collision warning, and automatic emergency
Additionally, potential features like a rear-seat entertainment system and built-in
vacuum make Odyssey a comfortable and convenient choice for families.
Random perk: If you’re thirsty, the 2023 Honda Odyssey has 17 cup holders.
- Seats 8 Comfortably
- Reasonably Priced
- Very reliable
- Some years are known for having issues
The best years: 2015-2018, 2012-2013, 2009-2010, and 2004.
Years you may want to avoid: 2001-2003, 2005-2008, 2011, and 2014.
Used Toyota Sienna (Best Budget)
A very close second for mamas is the very popular Toyota Sienna. With available all-wheel drive
and a hybrid powertrain, this Toyota provides excellent fuel efficiency and handling.
Like the Honda Odessey, the Sienna offers many important safety features, including automatic
emergency braking, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control.
Additionally, the Sienna’s spacious cabin and storage makes it a great choice for families.
Random perk: Thegrab bar on the new Sienna are really long and easy to grab.
- Great prices even if you want to buy a newer model
- Easy repairs and relatively inexpensive
- Longevity – Toyotas are known to last a long time.
- Not the coolest looking vehicle
Avoid Toyota Sienna Year Models 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2011
Lexus RX 350 (Best Luxury)
The Lexus RX 350 is my favorite luxury mid-size SUV. It’s known for its comfort and reliability.
This beautiful can runs with a powerful V6 engine that makes the acceleration so smooth.
The interior is pretty spacious and yes, is very luxurious. You can feel it right when you get in. The
RX 350 provides a comfortable and quiet ride and is a popular choice for those seeking a
high-end SUV with a reputation for quality.
Fun perk: Lexus engines are essentially the same as Toyota’s. This is a good thing 🙂
- Very Smooth Ride
- Price (Less than many SUVs)
- Safety Features
- Only Seats 5
- Price (MSRP $47,800)
- Fuel Efficiency
Hyundai Sonata (Best Sedan)
I used to have a Hyundai Sonata with two kids. The car was very affordable and reliable, I know
the my older model and especially the newer models have sleek designs and spacious interior,
and overall it has a good blend of practicality and style.
It provides a smooth and composed ride with good fuel economy. I didn’t have a newer model with all the safety features but I know they do include forward collision avoidance and blind-spot monitoring.
Finally, with its user-friendly infotainment system and available upscale features like leather seating and a panoramic sunroof, the Sonata offers a high level of value for its price.
- New Stylish Design
- Fuel Efficiency
- Value for the Money
- Rear Visibility
- Performance (definitely not a sports car)
- Resale Value
Subaru Outback (Best Wagon/Midsize SUV)
The Subaru Outback is a versatile and rugged crossover SUV. It’s mainly known for its
capability and practicality. I’ve been told it’s a great vehicle if you like camping and the
It has a symmetrical all-wheel drive system and offers a reliable and stable
performance in various conditions. Aka, if you’re in a city that snows a lot, it might be a good
The Outback provides ample cargo space, a comfortable interior, and advanced safety
features like Subaru EyeSight. To reiterate, it’s popular among adventurous families seeking a
capable and dependable crossover SUV.
- All-Wheel Drive (AWD)/Off-Road Capability
- Road Noise
- Engine Power
- Lacks Luxurious Feel
As a mom, finding the best car for the family was a daunting task. With so many options on the
market, it can be overwhelming to determine which car is the best mom car for you. From safety
features to storage capacity, there are plenty of features to think about before making the
decision. Hopefully this gives you several options to choose from but also helps you narrow
down what is best for you and your family.
Jess is a registered nurse with over 6+ years of critical care experience for patients young and old and is the mother of two small children. After having her own children she felt inspired to provide mothers with real actionable guidance and education to make informed decisions throughout their pregnancy and postpartum experience.